Awakening Through Love

Awakening Through Love

God Intersedes


I had decided to kidnap my mother from her abusive situation and had a plan in place, but God interseded.  I called Hospice and told them what I was going to do...the on-call nurse was very supportive and confident with my plan.  She said she'd say a prayer for us.  I called my mother a couple of times yesterday (Monday) and she finally answered about 1:15pm and said she had just called 911 because she was wedged between the dresser and her bed trying to get out of bed to use the bedside potty.  She had been calling my brother on her phone and screaming for him, but he didn't respond.  I told her she was coming to live with me and that R (my husband) and I would be coming to pick her up.  I called the police and they met us there.  It took about 20 minutes to gather up some of her things while the police were there.  In the car on the way home she said that before the paramedics could get there my brother woke up...came in...picked her up and threw her on the bed, saying..."You woke me up, you fucking bitch".  Then proceeded to shake her repeatedly and pinch her.

Since she's been home, I've been attending to her all day and night.  Fixing food, getting her ice chips to suck on, setting up a movie on my I-pad for her to watch outside on the deck, giving her a shower, dispensing her medicine, doing laundry, bandaging her leg that is oozing liquid and other wounds, lifting and carrying her from wheelchair to toilet to shower to bed to toilet, etc.  She's still awake now at 3:30.  We provided her with a walkie talkie to hit a call button when she needs to and she's woken me three times since midnight.  I'm going to go lay down with her until she goes to sleep.  She keeps apologizing for the hardship and I tell her that I love her and want her to be as comfortable as possible and that knowing she was being abused was torture for me.  My husband and son have been helping also.

10 comments:

Felicitas said...

Sherry, you're an angel. This was an impossible situation and you have acted heroically on your mother's behalf. Blessings to you both.

Sherry said...

Felicitas - Thank you so much for your kind words!

Anonymous said...

Hello, I have just started reading your blog and want to tell you how brave you are. There isn't ever 'a recipe' for how to handle difficult/extreme family situations...we just know what feels right in our hearts...and your heart is full of love. Thank you for reaching out and taking in your mother. Although you probably are exhausted looking after her, I hope you still find some peace and comfort now that you know she is safe. My prayers to you and your family. Take care. (You are a brave, caring person!)
Shelley in SK

Annette said...

Sherry, this made me cry too. So did Lou's post. Bless your precious heart. You are so doing the right thing...even though I KNOW how hard it is both emotionally and physically. I wish I lived closer...I would be able to help you take care of her. I am so glad you did this. I am praying that God holds you and your mama in His giant gentle hands and nurtures you both through this to the end. You are not alone. (((HUG)))

The neverending battle of child's opiate addiction said...

Oh dear Lord how happy I was to read this tonight. I am so glad you were able to get her out of there and can now help her to leave this earth in a loving, positive and nurturing manner, getting to spend time with her and say the things you want to say. Oh Sherry, I am so sorry it ever had to come to the point it did, but again am so thankful you have her in your loving care with God's bright light shining down and warming you both. So much love coming to you and your momma! ((HUGS))

Sherry said...

Shelley, Thank you for reaching out...it is a trying time...but it was worse, much worse knowing she was being abused. You're right..love is the key to life!

Annette, I know you work with the elderly. People like you are the heroes, giving comfort to strangers! Thanks for being there. Xoxoxo

Renee, thanks for your support and loving thoughts..it means a lot to me!

Dawn said...

Bless your heart Sherry. You are exactly what your mother needs. I know it's not easy but, I'm sure she is at peace being with you. Wishing strength to you all.

Sherry said...

Dawn - Thanks so much! I've had a rough 3 days... lack of sleep, learning boundaries etc., but I know things will get better!

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking of you often. I am so glad your mom is safe and in your care. You are her angel and she will feel your love all the way to the end and beyond. Wishing and praying for strength in this difficult time. May God grant you all peace.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sherri,
I continue to think about your family, and hope that all is going okay for you. My prayers are sent your way.
Shelley in SK

Post a Comment