Awakening Through Love

Awakening Through Love

The Visit


My husband and I visited J last night.  It was great to get to hug and kiss him after waiting 4 months.  He looked great - he's gained almost 20 lbs.  I spoke with his case manager yesterday before the visit and she was very helpful and nice.  She said J was doing very well with his classes and she has noticed a change in him from when he first arrived.  He's opening up more.  She said he has asked her a number of times about going back to college.

Anyway, I had mentioned to him on the phone on Sunday that I wasn't sure he would be able to come live at home when he was released.  For one thing, we're not on a bus line.  He said he could ride one of our bikes to the bus stop which is miles away by way of  a very dangerous, winding road.  I told him we had time to make a decision about that.  So, last night we talked about that more.  I asked him if his father does give him the $13,000 when he is released, what his plans for it would be.  He said he would pay off half of his credit card debt and that he thinks he needs to make it on his own.  Just stay here for the first couple of weeks and then move to an apartment.  That he needs to stay busy.  I asked if a large sum of money would be a trigger for him and he said no.  He said that looking back he realizes that when he would go out spending a lot of money on a new phone, clothes, xbox, etc. was a trigger.

He thinks he can get the job back working for his friend's cousin that he had when this happened.  He was working 2nd shift 2pm-2am, but there is no bus that goes there. 

We talked briefly about drugs and he said that he was doing well before the last month of trouble - that he had been clean for 3 months and then he decided one day to try it again and see if it was like it was in the beginning.  He said it was, so he decided to try it the next day to see if it was still good and it was, so the third day he tried it and he didn't get high.  I didn't asked him what he tried, but it seems clear that he made a conscious decision to get high.  I asked if he had any cravings and he said only for cigarettes.  I reminded him that I had quit about 9 weeks ago now and he said "Oh yeah - I forgot - that's great!"  A little self-absorbed - wouldn't you say!

I asked him if he feels anxious or depressed.  He said that he's not happy all of the time and I said that no one is.  He said if he had to lean one way or the other, he'd say that yes he probably has a problem, but that he wouldn't want to take any medicine.  I mentioned that I went to a therapist and that now I have found another one that I'll be seeing Monday and that she could see him also when he gets out if he wants to.  He said he really didn't want to, but that if I wanted him to then he would.  The new therapist asked me if his mental health has been evaluated and I said no.  She said that usually people don't become addicts unless there is some type of mental health issue also.

I also asked him if he thinks I did the right thing calling the police and he said yes!  I am still traumatized by that and feel that the therapist can help me work through it.

J and his step dad joked around and talked about sports, etc.  It was nice to see J smile!

It was a good visit and he is definitely getting better.  I liked that he realized that he needs to stay busy and make it on his own.  I also realize that we're just beginning - when he is faced with life on the outside - that's the true test!

Gratitude:

J is safe and sober
The sun is shining this morning
My coffee tastes good

Peace and blessings to everyone!!

7 comments:

The neverending battle of child's opiate addiction said...

It sounds like you had a nice visit with J, and each day we get to spend with them clean is a blessing. I pray that you will have many, many more visits with J like this. It is a hard decision not to allow them to live with us, but one that sometimes we have to do for our own peace.

Lisa said...

I really like the sound of your visit with J. It is amazing how we learn can gleen such happiness from seeing them safe and clean (even when it is being forced on them). As a side note, I am not an expert, but I don't agree that there has to be a mental issue to become an addict. Sometimes it is as simple as peer pressure, and if they happen to be the 1 in 10 human that seems to have the chromosome change when they take drugs or alcohol, then they become addicted. It is about whether you believe in the disease model or not. Still, an evaluation is never a bad thing. Things sound good, Sherry, and your decision regarding where he might live is probably the best for J and for you and your husband. You remain in my prayers. Hugs to you.

Bar L. said...

So good to hear about your visit with J and that he is doing so well. It sounds like he has made some good observations about himself.

I read what Lisa said above about mental illness and the disease model and I agree but I know in Keven's case it was a combination of all three things: peer pressure, the "addiction gene", and mental illness. Now that the drugs are out of his system he's still very unstable.

You know J, what do you think? Do you think he could benefit from therapy and or possibly meds? The most important thing is that he's not using now, and I celebrate that with you!!!! Let's hope this is "it" for him.

Heather's Mom said...

Sounds like you had a very nice - open - visit :) You covered a lot of topics with him. I'm so glad it all went well.

Whether or not J decides to see your therapist will be up to him, but from your posting, it sounds like J is headed in the right direction :)

God bless.

Annette said...

Glad you had a good visit. He probably really respects you because I am sure he knows how much courage and guts it took for you to call the police. Happy you found a good therapist, someone you have connected with. Sounds like good stuff is going on. :o)

Lou said...

If he is willing to see a therapist, do it immediately when he gets out, and you know he has been clean. I don't believe you can discern mental health issues while in active addiction. The time to explore that is when they are off drugs/alcohol.

Good luck to your family!

Unknown said...

Sherry,

Sounds like you had a great visit and that the doors of communication are wide open. That was the best thing about the rehab situation, I felt, with our son, that we could talk again and reconnect, knowing he was clean and sober and we were hearing him and not the drugs.

Praying for you all,
Cheri and Wayne

Post a Comment