Awakening Through Love

Awakening Through Love

Prescription Pills: The new drug of choice for teens


This article was on MSN's homepage today.  They gave an 18 year old high school student 5 years in prison for distributing oxy.  How sad for everyone.

Prescription Pills: The new drug of choice for teens:

http://health.msn.com/medications/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100247883&page=1

J called me on the 31st after I had already posted on my blog.  He sounded on edge, probably because it was his birthday and New Year's Eve (everyone was going out to have fun).  He asked me if I knew of any decent jobs (so he wouldn't have to take just any job) for him when he is released at the end of March.  The residents at the rehab are not discharged until they have a job or are in school.  It seemed like an odd question.  Sometimes, I think he thinks that I know everything (did that make sense?).   He said that he has a lot of free time there because the classes only last 2 hours per day.

He wants to go back to school since he only went for one semester right out of high school.  I asked him if he could do some research on the internet to decide what he wants to take in school and he said he doesn't think you can use the internet until you've been there three months.  He said there is a guy there whose wife mails him school work for online college and he mails it back to her. 

I have always been the one in the past to make suggestions, give reminders and research information for/to my son and realize now that was detrimental.  I want to be here as support for him and as we all know, its a fine line between support and enabling.  I know that some of you allow your son/daughter to live with you and others feel that is not the thing to do.  Since my son won't be able to drive for at least 6 months after he is released, he will need to live on a bus line and even then, the bus doesn't go everywhere (probation appts., etc.) that he will need to go.  I know that is his problem.

J said he wants his step-father and I to visit this Saturday, since he's only allowed two people per week.  I was surprised he didn't want his girlfriend, but I didn't comment on it.

I am in the process of planning another trip for February, but this one for my husband and I to go on.  We usually go somewhere once a year together and I'm thinking this time we could go on a cruise on the coast of South America that hits Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay.  I sometimes feel a little guilty for the amount of travel that I'm doing recently, but then I remember the hair color commercial - "I'm worth it"!

Gratitude:

Tears
Sleep

5 comments:

Lou said...

For 10 years my husband and I could only leave town together if Andrew was in jail or rehab. Otherwise we were fearful to leave our home unattended. Yikes, I can't believe I lived like that.

PS If you hear of any good jobs, email me, because I don't want to take just anything!

Bar L. said...

Yes you deserve it! If you are able to travel and its your passion go for it every chance you get! I will be traveling vicariously with you, I really enjoyed all the trips you shared here :)

You and I are a lot alike with our sons. I can hear K saying the same thing to me about jobs. And we have the same situation with no driver's license and no busline. He will be living here. I will be driving him to appts. but he will be responsible for scheduling those things and if I am unable to drive him for some reason, he'll have to find another way. There is a fine line, but I see so many changes in him lately, I feel like its the right thing for us.

It is a tragedy that the HS Student is in jail for 5 years. Don't get me started on this topic or I will go on for hours. It is my firm belief that our prisons and jails are filled with people that need rehabilitation while many real criminals (mainly sex offenders) are running around murdering little girls (see my blog post today if you want more of my opinions on that: http://rapesexualabuse.blogspot.com/

The neverending battle of child's opiate addiction said...

Travel all you can! I love to travel and my job kind of keeps me from doing too much. I am able to go some though and every chance I get I will. I used to be like Lou, never would leave our home unless my son was in rehab or jail, mom had someone to stay with (she has since passed), etc. Life is too short to wait on others to do the things we love. My son has stated to me on more than one occasion that he will NOT work in fast food. He knows where I stand with that. He is running amuck right now, not even sure where or what? I have gotten in his way too much and delayed his life lessons. Every family has to do what they feel is right for them at the present time. Have fun planning your trip, let your son worry about the job and school.

Sherry said...

Lou - You're really funny!!

Barbara - When I hear you talk about your arrangements - I become fearful because I'm not sure what to do. My husband doesn't want him living here. I'm going to live in the moment and stop worrying about that!!

Renee - Thanks for the advise!

Heather's Mom said...

Sherry - take the trip - don't feel guilty - you deserve it. I am SLOWLY learning, that the world won't fall apart if I'm not at home to play secretary to it! lol I say that AFTER I cancelled out on the last FOUR trips we had planned due to my daughter (well actually, the Mexico trip it was b/c of my other daughter). BUT, no more! (I hope I don't have to eat my words)
You have a great time - and I can live vicariously through the pictures you post afterward :)
That is tough about do you do the research for him etc or not. Since it is such a fine line. You'll have to use your best judgement, and decide HOW much is acceptable for you to do/not to do. Pray about it.
I know what you mean about them thinking we know everything - in my case I'm NOW convinced it's not that she thinks I know everything, but that if she asks I will DO everything....
Best wishes :)

Post a Comment