Awakening Through Love

Awakening Through Love

Family


I had a last minute mini-family reunion at my house on Saturday.  There were about 30 of us...I met my cousins' children and everyone was appreciative of my hosting the get-together!  My mother has been lonely lately and her sisters haven't taken the time to visit her at her new apartment since she moved there a few months ago.  My extended family seems to only get together for funerals and weddings...

No one asked me about J.  I had only confided in three of them about his situation - so I'm assuming they all know - word travels fast!  This relates to a subject that Peggy at http://peglud.wordpress.com/  posted recently entitled, "Supportive Friends?"  She's wondering how friends'/families' words, deeds or behavior help or hurt us as we're struggling with our loved one's addiction.

Other than my mother and husband, the few other family members that know about J's addiction don't bother to check in or send any inspirational e-mails.  I have three close friends and the two that live here always ask how he is when we talk.  I have a few other friends that I call occasionally, but they rarely call me.  Of course, there are the "fakebook friends"...(hee, hee)!!

I don't reach out to people very often for emotional support.  It does hurt when you don't get support after you feel that you've made yourself vulnerable and shared the pain that you/your family are going through.  The comments that I receive on my blog have helped to ease that hurt.  We are lucky to have each other!

Gratitude for today...

J is safe and sober
Earplugs...necessary while husband is watching Nascar
colors...the world would be bland in black n white
family and friends!!

1 comments:

Bar L. said...

How fun! Impromptu get-togethers are sometimes the best (you don't have to stress out too far in advance).

I was so relieved when my entire family finally knew about Keven. I wanted to tell them early on but my mother was too worried about "upsetting" anyone.

Post a Comment