Awakening Through Love

Awakening Through Love

A Day in the Life of a Census Taker



I've been working as a Crew Leader Assistant and also going out in the field to do Census work.  It's been interesting!  I'm lucky that the area I'm working in is very nice...some of the homes are million dollar homes.  I've probably been to about 75 houses and only encountered one lady that was somewhat beligerant.  She was quite rude and when I got to the question about picking a race...she said..."American - that white is not a race...it's a color of skin."  Towards the end she apologized and said that she just has a problem with the government.  She then remarked that she'd heard we make $60 a visit and I said "No - nothing close to that", so she asked how much I make and I told her politely that I wouldn't share that information.  I've worked with the public my whole life in some capacity and with many "difficult" bosses and co-workers, so this has been a natural fit for me.


When I approached another house, there were two dogs in the yard, a border collie and an "ankle biter".  An "electric fence" sign was posted and I stood on the sidewalk sizing up the situation as the "ankle biter" yapped away.   Less than a minute went by and I made the decision to brave it...so I walked up the driveway onto the entry sidewalk, up to the front door, while the "ankle biter" followed me...yapping.  The first thing the homeowner said was, "I guess you have to be a dog lover to have this job", to which I replied, "I watch the Dog Whisperer and I am a dog lover".  

A couple of days ago I pulled into someone's driveway because there wasn't a close parking spot and decided I wouldn't lock my car.  As I shut the door, I had a sinking feeling that I locked it out of habit...and I did...with my cell phone in it.  The home owner was very understanding and let me use her cell phone.  My husband said that there was a "valet" key that he had put under the front end of the car with a plastic tie down...thank God!

I'm still reading the one year Bible and it talks about the Census being taken way back when.  In America it's been taken since 1790!

Not sure what my next gig will be yet!

6 comments:

Heather's Mom said...

Oh, thank you for sharing this! I thought about doing that down here, but then I thought, I am too lazy to do all that walking (never thinking you'd drive from house to house!). What an interesting job though!
Hey, I watch the Dog Whisperer, DogTown, It's Me or the Dog... and any other "dog show" I can dig up! I love dogs :)
God bless.

Shen said...

You are brave... but I bet it's interesting work. Great post.

I left an award for you at my blog. Come and pick it up, when you can.

Syd said...

It sounds really interesting. Thanks for sharing some of the adventures.

Kathy M. said...

This is fascinating. I've always been curious about census work. Thanks for sharing.

me as i am said...

hi sherry, thank you for signing onto follow my blog. i've only read this first entry of yours so far, but i really liked it. that's neat that you're doing that and i appreciate you sharing your experience here.

wishing you well :)

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

fascinaing!
lovely music in yoour blog!

Post a Comment