Awakening Through Love

Awakening Through Love

Never A Dull Moment & the Issue of Control




My mother got home from doing a little shopping and the front end of her bumper was crushed. She said that she was at a stop light and the lady in front of her hit her??? Mom said she had her car in park because she was getting sick again (vomiting - which I later cleaned up). She had a few versions of her story (inconsistencies) and that the other driver said they had called the police. Mom decided since she felt sick to just leave the scene.

I was in the process of calling the police when we received a call from the police. They had eye witnesses who said that as Mom was going around this person she hit their rear end. Luckily, they decided not to charge Mom with fleeing the scene of an accident. We've been talking with her for months about how we don't think she is safe to drive (she had another accident about a month ago when she dropped her cigarette and was looking for it and veered off the road and hit a rock).

A bit of humor - my husband joked with her and said they may put her in the "pokie" for leaving the scene.

Remember, she is the enabler for my alcoholic brother and insists on driving to see him. She has a giant aneurysm in her head that creates a balance issue. If I were to take away her keys, she would make everyone's life hell!!

My plan is to take her (in addition to my son) everywhere she wants to go (if she'll let me) until she is accepted into the apartment that she's on the waiting list for.



Below are various thoughts/quotes from individuals on the subject of Control....


  • Because we are self-controlling beings, we are also responsible for our actions. This is not a moral or ethical proposition, but simply a causal one: I am responsible for what I do because I am the one who controls my actions. By the same token, to the degree we seek to control the lives and property of others, we help to foster, in their minds, the illusions that they are not responsible for what they do.
  • The thing that most people do not understand, is that you get to control the way you feel, because you get to choose the thoughts you think. Most people think that they only have the option of responding to the circumstances that surround them. And that's what makes them attempt the impossible, which is to control the circumstances around them, which only feeds their feeling of frustration and vulnerability, because it doesn't take very much life experience to discover you can't control all of those circumstances. But you can control your vibration. And when you control your vibration, you've controlled everything that has anything to do with you.
  • Being happy is the cornerstone of all that you are! Nothing is more important than that you feel good! And you have absolute and utter control about that because you can choose the thought that makes you worry or the thought that makes you happy; the things that thrill you, or the things that worry you. You have the choice in every moment.
  • When we can sit in the face of insanity or dislikes and be free from the need to make it different, then we are free.



As I'm having my positive thoughts, I'm off to take a jog...Peace, love and joy to everyone today!!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Sherry...just a thought...I know that she would make a big scene about driving...for my mom it was smoking (after three cancers). How would you feel if you set a boundary that you could live with? After all, boundaries are for your well being, not hers. What if you said, "Mom, while you live here with us, I am not comfortable with you driving."

My mom was living with me after a horrible summer in which she was hospitalized and then in rehab. I never thought she would go home again (this was before my sons addiction came into our world). I told her I could not have her smoking at my house, she got REALLY angry and moved back to her house (I thought I had just signed her death warrant...after all, how could she live without me taking care of her), and you know what? She lived on her own until her passing three years later (a different story). I gave her control of her own life and it was so much better for the both of us. I applaud your focus on positive thoughts; and I just want you to know that I honestly care about your well being. I hope that you do to, because we tend to put ourselves last on that list. Have a great day!

Anonymous :) said...

"Free from the need to make it different." I appreciate that. I just hope that today I don't pass your mom driving down the road.

Annette said...

Someone can anonymously report her to the DMV and they will investigate and may take matters into their own hands. I know its sounds awful...but now would be the perfect time since she has had 2 accidents within a month of each other. I work with the elderly...this is a very very common problem.

Bar L. said...

Sherry, I loved the quotes and am wondering where they are from. I needed them today! Hope things work out with your mom, it would be horrible if she got in a serious accident.

Post a Comment