Awakening Through Love

Awakening Through Love

Sweet Memories...


Occasionally, I have allowed my thoughts to rest on every event, word, mistake that has occurred in my son’s life that could have led to his current condition…

then...I realize how blessed I am to have been given the gift of motherhood.  The sweet memories and the opportunity for my own growth through these experiences are plentiful.

"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward." Psalm 127:3


Some of these memories are:

• The warm, tender feelings when I was nursing him

• The sound of his first giggle, playing peek-a-boo, tickling him

• His excitement at seeing me when I would pick him up from daycare

• Reading book after book with him at night, snuggling in bed

• The proud look on his little face the first time he went in a grown up toilet, tied his shoelaces, biked without training wheels, and the heavenly sound of him singing "Amazing Grace"...both verses...when he was 2 yrs. old

• The treasured feeling when he would give me a big hug and kiss and say, “I love you so much Mommy”

• Wrapping him in a towel that I had warmed in the dryer after his bath (he was a little spoiled with that one)

• The drawings and cards he would make for me

• Playing games together…hide-n-go-seek…card games…board games… Nintendo

• Visiting Santa and the Easter bunny

• His toothless grin when the tooth fairy left him money

• Taking him to Discovery zone, Chuckie Cheese’s, the Children’s Museum, the park, the amusement park, the toy store, the zoo, the water park, camping, boating, trick-or-treating, putt-putt golf, para-sailing, bungee jumping, sky-diving, roller skating, ice skating, snow skiing, to see fireworks, to Myrtle Beach and other fun vacations, etc., etc.

• Doing things together…jumping on the trampoline, watching Barney and Sesame Street, riding bikes…chasing each other around the house, 4-wheeling

• Feeling so proud when he did well in school, basketball, baseball and choir


Of course, I have a grown-up relationship...most of the time... with him now, but it's nice to remininscence.  I have faith that God will help him to walk the path that leads to freedom and righteousness.

"But blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him." Jeremiah 17:7

7 comments:

Bar L. said...

Sherry, I think every mother who reads this is going to get emotional with these precious memories. So many are the exact one's we all share - I can hear Keven's baby giggle and see him laughing in joy when he caught his first wave on a boogie board and....well I could go on. I am glad you shared this today.

We could drive ourselves crazy with guilt and remorse if we tried to pinpoint what went wrong in their lives but there is nothing to blame, especially not ourselves. I think we know that but sometimes still slip into that mode. Good for you for turning it into sweet memories. Such a great reminder of how to think right.

(sometimes I try to blame to myself that Keven never had a father in his life or siblings. He admits to feeling rejected by his father so how can I not blame myself for my "mistake")

Anonymous :) said...

This reminds me of the day I sat on a bench outside an ice cream parlor with my very young daughters licking chocolate chip ice cream cones. A very old woman stopped to shake their hands and compliment their appearance. She told me, "Treasure these moments. They will end." When she walked away, I thought to myself that maybe she was an angel. I never forgot her. Great post. (By the way, the photos come from IStockPhoto: http://www.istockphoto.com/index.php?view=full)

Her Big Sad said...

Beautiful happy memories. I have lots of them. I have been blessed! Praying for our children again today.

Heather's Mom said...

I too enjoy thinking about when Heather was young (whether she does or not these days!).
Was a nice post to look at the positive b/c you know what... I wouldn't trade Heather for 10 million dollars or anything else in the world!!!
I agree with Barbara, a lot of the ones you shared are the same ones I have and they brought back sweet memories for me too :)
Thanks!

järnebrand said...

What a sweet post. Oh, the memories... Lovely. As parents we can only do our best. Sweet memories are the ones who will remain, when all is said and done. Thank you for sharing thsi with us/ Jo.

Anonymous said...

These memories of my son is exactly what keeps me going each and every day. Without these sweet sweet thoughts always in the back of my head, I would have given up on him a long time ago.

Thank you for sharing your memories! They are precious indeed.

Syd said...

Those are precious memories. Thank you for sharing them here.

Post a Comment