Awakening Through Love

Awakening Through Love

What do I want to be when I grow up?



I've always been envious of people who seemed to know from early on what they wanted to do with their lives.  There are the musicians, artists, actors, authors, athletes, etc. that we see in the media, living their passions.  Most people I know do not jump out of bed eager to get to their job!

I joined the military out of high school so that I could get my college paid for and haphazardly chose to get a B.S. in Business Administration, because I thought it would be the most marketable degree.  I went to school at night part time for eight years while working full time as a Legal Secretary to obtain my degree.  My son was born one week before I graduated. 

I continued working in the legal field for a while, followed by a couple of years as a Personnel Manager and most recently as a Catering/Sales Manager helping people plan their corporate and social events.

The last few years I've been thinking about what career I'd like to have that would fill me with joy.   I feel bored and trapped working in an office setting.  I tried making a list of my interests, such as travel, organizing, photography, interior design, real estate agent, and health/wellness, to name a few.  I would then think about the additional schooling that would be required or the risk involved with starting a business and would stay stuck.

My main passion is travel and I've been blessed the last few years to be able to travel extensively.  I realize that travel and adventure is my passion and that is when I feel most alive and joy-filled.  I've been reading about successful people and how they've made their dreams come to fruition. 

They all basically follow the same recipe to success.  They have a burning desire, which they create a definite, detailed plan for carrying out that desire and envision themselves several times a day living that desire. 

There is no better time to start than today!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you can get paid to pursue your passion, it's hardly working. Good luck finding that!

Heather's Mom said...

I have read/heard the same thing about successful people doing what they enjoy doing. That would be awesome if you could work travel into a job :)
Oh, and congrats on the Census job!
God bless.

The neverending battle of child's opiate addiction said...

We have a lot of the same passions in common. I also would love to work in some type of travel/photography field and am also a legal secretary. I get stuck thinking about how I could be doing something for work that I am passionate about but also always get stuck. Maybe my burning desire isn't hot enough yet? Great inspirational post.

Bar L. said...

Love the new template, its so pretty!

I hope you follow your dream and find a way to live your passion and get paid for it! I didn't follow my dreams when I was younger, bot stuck in office work, I liked HR stuff, but the rest was boring yet paid well. Now I am working part time and don't exactly know what I am doing!

Maude Lynn said...

I have to focus on small steps so that I don't get overwhelmed by it all.

Bristolvol said...

I am also a legal secretary. I only work four days a week and I really enjoy it. It gives me a chance to help people. I guess as I get older, my ambitions are not driving me like they used to. I have a degree in secondary education, my dream was to teach English and German, but I never got a chance to. Now I teach a little German to the grandkids.

Her Big Sad said...

I always wanted to be a nurse. It must not have been meant to be, because when I could have taken the classes free as a faculty kid (my dad was a professor at the college), there was a three year wait list for everyone. I went on to try physical therapy assistant, got impatient and finished a secretarial sciences degree. Once married, these converged into me doing medical transcription. I was in classes again, at night, to be a nurse when my daughter began having issues. Working full time and dealing with the beginning of this battle, I gave up nursing again. Now, I'm almost 55, and just plain tired! I hope my transcription biz winds down right about the time I retire! I'll always wish I had been able to be a nurse, but typing about it is fairly decent as an alternative! I hope, hope, hope you get to follow this dream!!! Best wishes as you tackle the hows and whens and the work involved!!

Memoirs of a Heroinhead said...

Hiya Sherry,

Thank you so much for reading and commenting on my blog... it means a lot.

All My Thoughts, Shane. x

Post a Comment