Awakening Through Love

Awakening Through Love

Nature...Disconcerting Phone Call...Humor


This is a picture I took of a squirrel in the back yard, nibbling on a piece of bread that my husband threw off the deck yesterday.  We enjoyed watching him drop it...run down the tree to retrieve it...and then back up to resume his meal.




We had just fallen asleep last night when my phone rang at 10:15pm. It was a man's voice asking for "_______", which is the name of my husband. I asked who was calling and the name sounded familiar. Immediately, I'm on alert because 1) we don't usually get phone calls that late; 2) why was he calling on my phone asking for my husband; 3) my son's past drug life.


The name doesn't sound familiar to my husband and in his fuzzy half-asleep brain, he's telling him he doesn't know anyone by that name. The man says, "Aren't you the friend of _____'s?", as I whisper, in my fuzzy half-asleep brain, "I think it's the father of one of J's friends", so then husband says to the man, "Oh, sure, how are you?" The man then says, "The plant will be ready by the 8th or 9th. What day is better for you?" Husband says, "What?" Man then repeats himself. Husband says, "Oh, the 8th would be better". Man then says, "O.K., I'll give you a call then". Husband says, "O.K., talk to you then".

After he hangs up, we're both very confused. Husband says it was a drug deal, I say, are you sure, maybe by plant he means something else. We call J on speakerphone and ask him if he knows this person, he says "Yes, I'm going to his wedding in May".

To summarize the outcome: My son has used my phone a few times when his battery has been low, because he left his charger at his Aunt's and he had called this friend from my phone a few days ago. This friend was trying to reach someone that has the same first name as my husband and hit redial for the wrong phone number. My son was very concerned that we were thinking he was involved in something, which we have to admit crossed our minds. When we thought it through, we realized that it didn't involve J because the friend asked for someone else, not J.

Anyway, J had called the friend when he hung up from us and then called us back to talk about it. As we were talking, the friend called us and apologized. He explained the mishap and said he wanted to make sure that we knew that J was turning his life around and had nothing to do with this. I thanked him for calling back and said, "If you don't stop what you're doing, you'll end up eventually getting into trouble also!"

It dredged up past fears and reminded me of how vulnuerable our emotions are!


....and to end on a humorous note




My husband was relaying a funny incident that happened the other day with our roommate.  He said that I wasn't home this particular day, when he was standing in the kitchen and had terrible gas.  He was just in the middle of releasing a very loud "fart", when he heard her dainty footsteps rounding the corner.  He turned and said that her eyes were very wide and she almost started running out the door with a horrified look on her face! 

My husband finds these topics of humanity to be very humorous and was almost crying with laughter as he shared this moment with me!

I hope that everyone can find something to laugh about every day!

7 comments:

The neverending battle of child's opiate addiction said...

Oh my your husband's story was funny;) I know all aobut those phone calls, we received on last night at 2:30 a.m. from some guy who says my son owes him money. Needless to say, my husband awoke in a pretty cranky mood. Glad your call was a misunderstanding.

Anonymous said...

Been through similar sorts of experiences that I've incorrectly interpreted from my son's past drug life. Really feel gratitude for his sobriety all over when that happens! Take care!!

Bar L. said...

Well you covered a lot of topics here! :)

I love squirrels, they are so cute and such hard workers. I have a great "beach squirrel story".

Good to hear that J was not involved in the "plant" incident!!!

Your husband is funny, it seems like most males enjoy good fart stories :)

Dulçe ♥ said...

Good sense of humour your husband has--- Ah those phone calls at night!

hugs!
:)

Heather's Mom said...

Sadly for me, I seem to have the same sense of humor as your husband. (Sorry everyone else...) You can tell your husband about the time I was in bed with my little dog behind me... and he FLEW off the bed... it was like I shot him out of a cannon! (Oh, geez, maybe I shouldn't have written this, but it was so funny.) This is the same dog that is so offended by "gas" that when he does it - he tries to blame it on us!!! No kidding!!! He moves away from us and looks at us like, "How could you???" (Again, sorry if I offended anyone, this stuff makes me laugh so much I couldn't help myself but to tell you!)

Isn't it sad how if our kids weren't involved in this stuff our minds would never go where they go when odd things happen? At least your instincts and deduction was accurate and - you had a chance to say something encouraging to this friend.

I hope all goes well with J's next court and that he does opt for the treatment - some reinforcement can't hurt!

I love squirrels! What a great picture and accompanying story :) Thanks for sharing it with us :)

God bless.

Her Big Sad said...

I'm still giggling! Your husband's story was really funny..... Our pit bull is a bit on the dainty side where farts are concerned. She jumps up all offended (when she has one) and looks around, honestly bewildered, to try to see what happened back there! Then she looks at us, trying to figure out why we're laughing so hard we're crying. Have a great night!

Syd said...

I don't like to get late night calls especially to the wrong number. We sometimes get calls to Baby Doll which always makes us laugh. I once told the lady who called that Baby Doll was at the veterinarians. She didn't know what to think. But when she calls and asks for Baby Doll at 3 AM--well, that isn't too funny.

Post a Comment