Awakening Through Love

Awakening Through Love

Happy Easter



Update on J:

Although he doesn't share much with me about his feelings, he is quite vocal concerning my driving.  It seems I'm a bit fuzzy headed when he's in the car and a few times have almost missed turning where I'm supposed to...I'm sure it has nothing to do with waking up at 3:30am to pick him up...having a new route to learn....or his surliness with me. 

I'm what you would call an "assertive" driver.  I have never had an accident that was my fault and no one ever has to honk their horn at me.  I got fed up with his comments the other day, so when he said, "I don't understand why you drive the way you do", I calmly said, "I don't understand why you seem to take your irritability out on me, not your father, your step-father, your girlfriend, just me!  I have been driving much longer than you have been alive and have never had an accident that was my fault, so if you don't like it, find another ride and just shut up!"  It worked like a charm, he's been much nicer.

At Court last week, he was sentenced to 20 days, $525 in fines and 2 years license suspension, retroactive from March 2009, for the DUI from a year ago...that was continued many times. The Judge gave him the option of serving the time in jail or rehab. He has his last Court appearance for the felony drug possession this week and depending on the outcome of that, will then go back before the other Judge to give him his decision. The rehab will cost $600, if he chooses that.  He didn't think it was worth $600 to avoid jail and I said it was a drop in the bucket compared to the money I've already put out and that he was worth it!  Later, after telling his father about it, he said he would pay for it.

Update on Sherry:

I volunteered to tutor a child on Saturday.  She's in 6th grade and smart.  We had 3 1/2 hrs. to go over reading and math.  Initially things were going well, but then she began testing.  She'd get up to sharpen her pencil...5 times...open the window...2 times...secretly start texting with her phone, until I caught on...argue about answers that were wrong, insisting they were right...talk loudly disturbing others in the room.  I tried to keep her focused and on task, but when that didn't work, I ignored her and then she had to get me to focus.  It worked!

I moved my computer out of the master bedroom into another bedroom, so I don't wake my husband since I'm getting up so early.  I bought a few new pictures for the walls to make it more homey.

I went to a new hairdresser this week and just love my hair and her!  As we got to know each other, she asked about my son and I told her about his addiction problems.  She then opened up to me about her sister's problems and how it has affected  her and her mother.  I told her about my travel adventures and she then shared that she has a fear of traveling too far from home.  She's in her 20's...very cute...and her boyfriend moved to Texas.  She was going to visit him this weekend and was afraid that once she arrived she would feel panicked that she may not be able to get back home...an irrational fear.  She said that just hearing about my travels...most of them by myself...helped her.  It's amazing how we can help people just by being open!

Last night, as I sat on the deck letting thoughts float through my mind, I had a sudden urge to go buy an Easter basket for my roommate, whom I barely know.  In the past four months, we've spoken a total of perhaps 10 minutes.  She's an engineer, 27 yrs. old, from New York...her family comes from the Mariana Islands in the South Pacific.  I've accepted the situation as it is...she doesn't want a relationship with us...even to the point of not saying "hello" if you're sitting in the living room and she arrives home and passes through to go downstairs to her space.  My husband thinks she is "bitchy, rude, and wierd". 

Anyway, I ran out and got a basket, a plush bunny, an organic chocolate bar, hummus, organic black bean tortilla chips, guacomole, burts bee body butter, and a small potted rose plant.  She was in her office when I went downstairs to give it to her and I said, "Here is an early Easter basket", she said, "I don't celebrate Easter" as she shook her head and the look on her face was priceless.  I said, "It's just a present then...to make you feel good".  She said, "You didn't have to do this".  I said, "I know, I wanted to".  So, she gave me a hug!

Happy Easter to those of you who celebrate and Happy Day to those of you who don't!

5 comments:

Bar L. said...

Sherry,

This was a great way to start my day - reading all you had here. First of all, are you sure that wasn't Keven in the car with you because it sure sounds like how he talks to me when I drive! Actually he stopped doing that but he used to do it all the time. Glad you got the message across to J!

Sounds like you're helping the girl you're tutoring in more ways than one :)

I want to see your new hairstyle!! I agree about how being open often brings opportunities to help others. I know another young person about that age that has always been afraid to be far from home and he went away to college this year (3 hours away). It was a big step. We all have our "issues" don't we!

You really touched your roommate, I bet she told all her friends and family about the basket (great basked by the way!(

Unknown said...

I would like to wish you and your family
Many Easter Blessings and have you a great Easter!
hugs
shakira

A Mom' Serious Blunder said...

I wish you could tutor my 10 year old...she sounds a lot like your student. Cute as a button but such a social butterfly never can focus on work. Have a Happy Easter Sherry! You are very sweet, may all that sweetness come back to you!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

http://jingleyanqiu.wordpress.com/2010/04/04/easter-sunday-awards-to-fill-your-basket/

Happy Belated Easter!
Happy Monday!

your Easter post is cool!

Syd said...

I like those little eggs staring back. Glad that you had a good Easter.

Post a Comment