Awakening Through Love

Awakening Through Love

Anger and "In the Middle"


I find myself in the same situation as Garnet at her blog.  A couple of weeks ago I offered to let my son's girlfriend sleep in our guest bedroom one particular evening.  She has been helping to drive him once or twice a week to work or his probation appointment.  I don't remember the particulars from that offer, but he declined at the time.  Last night, J called asking if she could spend the night (in the guest room), because she could pick him up at 1am and take him to his probation appointment today at 1:15pm, followed by work at 2:00pm.

My husband and I have been taking turns picking him up at 1am.  It was planned that J's Aunt was going to take him to work today.  I had forgotten about his probation appt.  My hours aren't flexible this week, because I'm in training.

I put J on hold when he called to run it by my husband.  He said "No, he didn't agree".  So, I tried to explain to J and he got upset.  I am "in the middle" again.  I tried to talk to my husband about it after I hung up from talking with J, but he gets upset if I start questioning him, trying to understand his reasons.  I stay calm.  Each time he gets upset, I interrupt him and ask if we could try to just talk and stay calm.  He makes statements such as "just do what you want", "I'm the bad guy, the "dick" again", "the bottom line is...".

At one point he walks over and standing three feet from my face, spews anger at me.  I don't react.

I wait for a few minutes and tell him I won't put up with that kind of anger being directed at me and that I believe he has an anger problem.  I ask him if he sees the anger.  He says "no".  In the past, he has admitted that he has an anger problem, but has done nothing to work on it.

Through the years, there have been a handful of times that his anger has turned physical with J.  A push, a slap on the chest, picking him up off of the floor to throw him on the couch, etc. and only once with me, jabbing his finger into my chest repeatedly.  I have looked at my part in it, as Garnet said in her post, and can see from his perspective that he feels like I continue questioning him until I get the response I want sometimes.  Like an attorney cross-examining.  I would like to set up my camcorder so that we could replay it and watch ourselves, each time we try to resolve an issue.

He came in the room a few minutes ago and said, "Sorry about last night".  Normally, I say, "O.K.".  This time I said "hmm".  As I write this out, it sounds like "abuse".  I tell myself that he has gotten better.  I had quit smoking again for 4 days until this outburst, and felt the need for one last night.

This makes me sad...I welcome your comments.

8 comments:

Shen said...

It is very hard to be in the middle. I can hear how hard you are trying. I'm just wondering... if you have no problem with her sleeping there and picking J up, why not leave it up to your husband to tell J his feelings about it. In a way, you are putting yourself in the middle. If the issue is between them, let them work it out... that's my advice.

peace

The neverending battle of child's opiate addiction said...

I agree with Shen above. If you are o.k. with it and he isn't, let him call him back and tell him why, etc. I have been in the middle many times trying to keep the peace and now I realize I put myself there every time. My husband is Z's step-dad and even though he loves him dearly, it just isn't the same relationship he has with his own biological son. I try to keep my mouth shut and stay out of their way now, let the pieces fall. Sometimes my son's feelings get hurt and many times my husband is sadened and angered by my son, but such is life. Please take care of you and much love and light headed your way.

Bar L. said...

This is another reminder of how addiction affects all of those around it. I have never been married so I dare not give advise on that aspect. What was said above makes sense but somehow I sense that even if you handed your husband the phone somehow you would be in the middle because you ARE in the middle. You are the mother and the wife and have each person pulling you in a different direction. :(

INSIDE THE SHRINK said...

It is abuse. Verbal and emotional. You didn't cause it and you can't fix it. You don't have to be still and take it either. Tell him you will talk to him when he can talk and not yell. They cycle is classic. There's tension, finally he blows up, you feel like a piece of crap, he comes with tail between legs and apologizes. The cycle starts over again. I suggest you go to counseling. If he won't go, you go and get some healing and personal growth for yourself.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say I agree with Barbara,pulling in both directions,Ive had this both looking at me,husband looks at me to give an answer ,why does'nt he give him answers,so I suggest one but to me it's only so I can be blamed when it all goes wrong.I've stopped this,husband has to say his own thoughts on it,but when we decide he can't stay with us boy do we both feel bad,no easy fix for this I know as we know at times he has nowhere to go,but we can only live with sobriety,he knows this.Take care I will be thinking of you.

A Mom' Serious Blunder said...

I don't really have anything comforting to say but I do feel your pain and recognize my life in your words. I have often wondered what constitutes abuse and seeing your post makes it quite clear.

Lisa said...

If it looks like abuse and feels like abuse, it is abuse. And since you can't change him, fix him, cure him, control him, you have to focus on what you need in these situations.

I felt very in the middle in March, when my husband (who had ended the marriage but was still living with me at that point...he's out now...refused to go to Bryan's graduation because Bryan invited my sister in law and brother. I told Mitch he had to talk to his son and work it out. I had nothing to say because I believed he should "man up" and go regardless. It worked, but he is not abusive, just selfish. You are in my heart and in my thoughts and my prayers. Take care of you!

Anonymous said...

I used to always feel the same way, like I was always in the middle of everything. I now try to either direct people toward each other, if they need to agree, or say that I'm going to take action if I don't hear from the other person before a certain time. Still not perfect, but I don't think it's good to always be chasing people around, either.

Post a Comment